The following chapters make up the book:
- Nebraska Settlement
- Colonization and Development by Railroad
- Nebraska Court System and Records
- Nebraska Vital Records
- Probate, Guardianships and Adoptions
- Land Records
- Naturalization Records
- Civil and Criminal Court Records
- County Histories
- Territorial, Federal and State Censuses
- Military Records
- Schools and Records
- Institutional Records
- Nebraska Railroads
- Nebraska Ethnic Groups
- Religious Records
- Orphan Trains
- Cattle Brands
- Societies, Repositories and Libraries
- Genealogical Collections in Nebraska Libraries and Repositories
- Nebraska State Censuses & Substitutes 1854-1976
- Maps Showing Nebraska County Boundary Changes
- Nebraska County Records – Alphabetical by county
- Suggested Internet Web Pages
- Suggested Reading
A few of the things I think are really great in this awesome book are the following:
- The author gives quite a few pictures and documents throughout the book. They are wonderful examples.
- The chapter showing the boundary changes is a great addition. Knowing the boundaries will influence where you go to find a genealogical record.
- She provides some great Internet Websites that will help those researching Nebraska in finding newspapers, histories, wars, school records, maps, mailing lists and much more.
- Her list of Suggested Reading is very comprehensive and will help a researcher build on what they learned in reading “Genealogical Research in Nebraska”.
About the author: Ruby Coleman is from Nebraska and has been researching for over 40 years, professionally for over 25 years. She is an instructor of seminars and classes, as well as lecturing and writing. Some of her writings have been published in well-known genealogical magazines. She writes for the following blogs:
- Genealogoy Works
- Nebraska Roots and Ramblings
- The “You Go Genealogy Girls” … and Grannies on the Go! she co-writes with Cheri Hopkins.
- Genealogy Lines
Disclaimer: I was given a free copy of this book from the publisher to write an honest review.