Sweet potatoes are sweet orange colored potatoes that are amazingly healthy and flavorful. They are high in beta-carotene which helps maintain eye health as well as the heart and other important organs of the body. Some research also suggests that sweet potatoes help in regulating blood sugar in people with diabetes.
Chinese wolfberries, which are also called goji berries, carry health benefits as well. They are sometimes known as a “superfood” because they are rich in nutrients and antioxidants. These berries can usually be found dried in most health food stores. Similar to raisins these amazing berries add to the depth and sweetness of this delicious dessert soup.
The ginger and honey both flavor this soup as well as provide health benefits. They have warming properties that help with congestion when suffering from the common cold. Try this delicious and healthy Chinese sweet potato soup recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here
1 medium sweet potato
½ inch piece of fresh ginger
2 cups water
½ tbsp honey
1 tsp wolfberries (also called goji berries)
1 tbsp light brown sugar
- Carefully peel the sweet potato and then cut it into one inch to one and a half inch cubes and then set them aside.
- Using a knife or the back of a spoon carefully peel the ginger. Then cut it into thin slices and set them aside.
- In a medium pot that has a lid add the water, sweet potato, ginger, honey, wolfberries, and light brown sugar. Heat this on high stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves.
- Once the sugar dissolves let the soup come to a boil.
- When it comes to a boil turn the heat down to low. Then cover and let it simmer for 12 minutes, or just until the potatoes are soft. Using a fork, poke them gently to check for softness.
- When the potatoes are soft the soup is ready to serve. Makes 2 to 3 servings.