Rather than unwrap small peppermint candies which takes lots of time, it’s a good idea to purchase candy canes or the large peppermint sticks which are easy to unwrap. Place them in a plastic bag, wrap the bag in a dishtowel, and pound with a meat pounder or heavy object until the candy is the right consistency for the recipe. The candy in this recipe should be coarsely chopped, since a few chunks add extra crunch. These cookies take less than an hour from start to finish, so almost everyone has time to make them.
About 4 dozen cookies
1/4 cup butter
1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate
3 cups Basic Sugar Cookie Mix
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 1/2 cups coarsely crushed peppermint candies
1/2 to 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place the butter and baking chocolate in a microwaveable container; microwave about 1 minute until the butter is melted.
- Stir until the chocolate is melted.
- Measure the sugar cookie mix and cocoa into a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add the butter/chocolate mixture, eggs, and peppermint extract; stir in the peppermint candies.
- When well-combined, scoop tablespoon-size balls of dough, roll them into balls, and coat each with powdered sugar.
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheets 2" apart; press down slightly with the bottom of a glass.
- Bake 12-13 minutes or until set.
- Remove from the oven, sift a little additional powdered sugar over, and transfer to cooling racks.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week or freeze for longer storage.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 87 Calories from Fat 42
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 5% Carb. 47%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 18 mg
Sodium 66 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%