4 egg whites, at room temperature
1 pinch salt
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons flour
6 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped red candied cherries
1 cup chopped green candied cherries
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat the egg whites with salt to form soft peaks.
- Add 2/3 cup of the sugar gradually while beating on high speed.
- Add the lemon juice and beat the mixture for 5 minutes at high speed or until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour and remaining 1/3 cup sugar; stir until well blended.
- Fold the flour mixture into meringue, then fold in the coconut and candied cherries.
- Use a tablespoon-size scoop to drop rounds onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, or until the macaroons are lightly browned.
- Cool on the baking sheets.
- When the cookies are cool, mix the chocolate chips and vegetable oil; microwave 1-1 1/2 minutes.
- Let sit 2 minutes then stir until smooth.
- Drizzle over the cookies or dip them into the chocolate.
- Let set in a cool place.
- Store in an airtight container.
Amount Per Macaroon
Calories 147 Calories from Fat 55
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 37% Protein 3% Carb. 60%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 102 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 2%