The recipe below uses white button mushrooms which can usually be found in most local grocery stores. Both portabella and shiitake mushroom caps also work great in this recipe, though they can sometimes be difficult to find and are a bit more expensive. Try this amazing stuffed mushrooms recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here
8oz whole white button mushrooms
1 ½ tbsp peanut oil
1 tsp garlic salt
½ lbs. of ground beef
2 green onions
¼ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp soy sauce
½ tsp sherry
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
½ tbsp cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp paper towel. Then remove all of the stems and place them on a non-stick baking sheet.
- Drizzle them with the peanut oil and sprinkle them with the just ½ teaspoon of garlic salt. Then using your hand, rub these ingredients into the mushrooms caps so that they coat all sides.
- Next prepare the filling. Rinse the green onions under cold running water and dry them with paper towels. Then cut off the white base and about an inch from the top of the greens. Cut the remaining stalks into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- In a large bowl combine the ground beef, green onions, ground ginger, the remaining ½ teaspoon of garlic salt, soy sauce, sherry, black pepper, and cornstarch. Then using your hand, mix these ingredients thoroughly together.
- Now it’s time to fill the mushroom caps. Take about a tablespoon or so of the filling and mound it on to the mushroom cap. Use the spoon to press the filling down firmly and continue until all of the caps are filled.
- Once they’re filled return them to the non-stick baking sheet and separate them slightly so that there is about a ½ inch or so between them.
- Then bake them in the preheated 400F oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove them from the heat and serve. Makes 12 to 15 stuffed mushrooms.