Try this amazing bang bang shrimp recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here
1lb medium shrimp
½ tbsp sherry
¼ tsp garlic salt
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 large green onion
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup sweet chili sauce (Mae Ploy brand works best for this recipe)
1 tsp hot chili garlic sauce
1 tsp smooth peanut butter
½ tsp soy sauce
1 to 2 cups of peanut oil
- Remove all of the shells and tails from the shrimp. Then devein them, rinse them under cold running water, and pat them dry.
- Place the shrimp in a bowl and add the sherry, garlic salt and cornstarch. Using your hand, mix these ingredients thoroughly into the shrimp and then let them marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes while preparing the other ingredients.
- Rinse the green onion under cold running water and dry it with a paper towel. Then cut off the white base and about an inch from the top of the greens. Cut the remaining stalk into tiny pieces and set them aside. This will be the garnish for this dish.
- In a medium bowl thoroughly mix together the mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, hot chili garlic sauce, peanut butter, and soy sauce. Then set this sauce aside and start cooking the shrimp.
- Heat about one to two cups of peanut oil on medium high. You want the oil to be about an inch or so deep just so that the shrimp can submerge.
- When the oil is hot, carefully add the shrimp and let them cook for 40 seconds to a minute; or just until they turn pink and are cooked through.
- Then remove them and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain off the excess oil.
- Next, carefully toss them with the sauce, garnish them with a little of the chopped green onion and serve. This goes great with a side of fried rice and some steamed broccoli. Makes 2 to 3 servings.