Perhaps you have done a few psychic fairs and feel comfortable doing back to back mini readings. Or, maybe you have also done readings at a few small private Tarot parties. Both of these type of gatherings may offer you experience as far as doing readings in a hectic and noisy atmosphere. But, they cannot compare to the unique experience of reading at a wedding reception or a holiday party.. especially a large scale Halloween party.
For one thing, when you offer your Tarot expertise at a public gathering that is not necessarily Tarot savvy, you are stepping into the guise of entertainer rather than mentor or advisor.
In most cases, if someone comes to a psychic fair or hires you to readings at a private Tarot based party, that person is also aware of the spiritual aspect that Tarot offers. This is generally not the case when it comes to weddings or other types of heavily populated events. You are classified as an entertainer, right along with the D.J or band. And, people expect to be entertained.
The biggest issue I have run into is that people sometimes drink excessive amounts of alcohol at weddings or holiday parties. This means that you are going to be dealing with at least a few folks who won't have any idea what you are talking about. They will monopolize your time and energy and will oftentimes leave you both emotionally and physically drained.
Then there are the time restraints. You may have to do quick back to back readings for several hours with music playing loudly in the background and people stopping by to listen. And there is often a line forming in front of you.
One of the other pitfalls is that many people don't know what Tarot is or how it works and you may find yourself explaining the Tarot process over and over again before you even lay out the cards for a reading.
I am not saying that this type of venue should be avoided. It is my thought that a calm, collected, and self confident Tarot reader can do wonders for building up a good reputation for Tarot in general. But, do be aware that you will come home from the event frazzled, very tired and psychically drained. So make sure you take good care of yourself before and after the event. Bring a bottle of water, a few healthy protein based snacks, and a blanket in case the place you are reading is air conditioned or chilly.
The main thing to remember is that Tarot does have two faces. Personally, I prefer one on one private readings or small psychic fairs. But, I do weddings and parties on occasion also.
So, if you do decide to read at a wedding or party remember these rules:
1. Ask for your payment when you first get there or even before the event. Waiting until the end of the event can be confusing and difficult.
2. Stay safe no matter what. If you get a patron who is being abusive or difficult don't continue with the reading. Calmly tell them that the reading is over and beckon the next person forward. If this doesn't work.. don't be afraid to seek help from the host or hostess of the venue.
3. If you are feeling overwhelmed, tell the people who are waiting that you are taking a short break and will be back in a few minutes.
4. Get to the event early and scope out the area where you will be reading. Make sure you are not located near the band or D.J.
5. Stay hydrated and warm or cool as the case may warrant.
And, above all do have fun. Weddings and parties aren't all bad.. in fact some are really fun. Just make sure you are prepared and ready before you get there.