Since this decadent cake is topped with rich chocolate ganache, it’s a chocoholic’s dream. It would make a perfect end to a romantic Valentine’s Day dinner, and since it can be made ahead and is actually better when it sits for a day or two, it’s perfect for entertaining anytime throughout the year. A spoonful of real whipped cream (none of that fake frozen crap, please) is a perfect topping, but highest quality vanilla ice cream is also delicious.
For those craving chocolate, why not make it today as a trial run; it is sure to wreak havoc on any immediate weight loss plans, but it will satisfy even the most desperate chocoholic.
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hottest tap water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup rum
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a standard Bundt pan thoroughly with Baker's Joy (or grease and flour).
- Cream the butter and sugars; add eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, and chocolate; mix well.
- Stir in the flour and salt.
- Mix the hot water and baking soda and add to the batter; stir until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan.
- Bake at for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make the Syrup: Bring the sugar and water to a boil; let the mixture boil until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture has thickened slightly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the rum.
- When the cake is done, let it sit on a cooling rack 5 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack to remove the pan.
- Invert the cake onto another rack so that the bottom is up.
- Poke holes around the cake evenly with a fork in 1/2" intervals.
- Slowly pour the prepared syrup over the cake.
- Let the cake cool thoroughly and place on a serving platter.
- Topping: Mix the chocolate and whipping cream in a microwaveable container; microwave 2 minutes.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, whisk until thickened, and pour over the cake.
- Refrigerate until the topping has set.
- Store tightly covered or in an airtight container; it will keep several days.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 339 Calories from Fat 127
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 37% Protein 4% Carb. 54%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 49 mg
Sodium 204 mg
Total Carbohydrate 46 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 19 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 6%