If dehydrated vegetables are available, there is no chopping required for Classic Southern Peanut Soup; otherwise, it should take only about 5 minutes to chop the celery and onion. Hopefully, Basic Cream Soup Mix is already on the pantry shelf. If not, the soup mix is quick and easy. Once made, it can be used for dozens of different soups. There are at least enough soups on this site using the Basic Cream Soup Mix for a new one every day of National Soup Month. What are you waiting for?
5 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup dehydrated celery, or 1 cup fresh celery
1/3 cup dehydrated onion flakes, or 1 1/4 cups chopped onion
1 cup creamy peanut butter
6 cups water
2 cups basic Cream Soup Mix
1 cup whipping cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts, for garnish
1/4 cup fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large soup pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil; add the celery and onion flakes (or chopped fresh vegetables).
- Once boiling, turn down to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Transfer the vegetables to a food processor or blender, adding just enough of the liquid to puree the vegetables.
- Pour back into the soup pot and stir in the peanut butter.
- Mix the water and cream soup mix; whisk into the soup.
- Stir over medium heat until thickened and boiling.
- Stir in the whipping cream.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve hot garnished with the peanuts and parsley.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 372 Calories from Fat 243
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 65% Protein 14% Carb. 21%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 27 g
Saturated Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 44 mg
Sodium 858 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 13 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 0% Iron 3%