The best accompaniment to Shortcut Shrimp and Andouille Gumbo is crusty French bread or garlic bread and a salad. Fancy Masks, Feathers, and Beads in the traditional colors of Purple, Green, and Gold are optional.
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 to 2/3 cup flour
1/2 pound andouille sausage, cooked and sliced diagonally into 1/4" slices
2 cups frozen cut okra
4 cups Basic Creole Sauce
4 cups chicken broth, or 4 cups water and 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon
1 pound medium raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat; whisk in enough of the flour to make a smooth paste; it will thicken a little while cooking.
- Cook the roux over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it turns a deep red brown; set aside.
- Heat a Dutch oven or soup pot to medium and add the sausage; stir over medium heat until the pieces are brown.
- Add the okra, Basic Creole Sauce, and chicken broth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and let simmer 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the roux, and stir until thickened. If the mixture is too thick, add additional chicken broth or water.
- Add the shrimp and stir until the shrimp are pink, about 5 minutes. Serve over rice.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 369 Calories from Fat 256
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 70% Protein 11% Carb. 20%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 28 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 22 mg
Sodium 1712 mg
Total Carbohydrate 18 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 10 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 12% Calcium 0% Iron 5%