To see a video on how to make the basic cookie click here.
18 thin 1½ inch pieces of paper (for the fortunes)
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ cup sugar
2 tbsp peanut oil
2 tbsp water
½ tsp instant tea
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
1 cup Toll House semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Start by writing the fortunes. This is the fun part. You can either hand write or type these messages to go into your cookies. Get creative - there are tons of websites that have sample fortunes; many of which are quite funny.
- Once all of your fortunes are complete, start preparing the batter. Mix together the cornstarch, sugar, egg and peanut oil. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Then add the water, instant tea, vanilla, and almond extracts and stir until smooth. The dough should be thin and almost watery in consistency.
- Once the dough is ready, set up your cooking area. You will need a very small non stick pan, spatula, large metal spoon, and an egg crate. The egg crate is to hold the finished fortune cookies in their shape. If you don’t have an egg crate, you can use a small muffin pan instead. Also, if your hands are heat sensitive, then you will need heat resistant gloves.
- Now we can start making our cookies. Heat your pan on medium – low.
- Add a small amount of the batter, about 1 to 2 teaspoons. As soon as it hits the pan, swirl it with the back of the metal spoon so that it makes a very thin circle.
- Let the circle cook for 40 seconds. After 40 seconds, using the spatula and your fingers, gently pick it up and flip it over. Let it cook another 40 seconds.
- After the second side it cooked, work quickly to fold it into shape. Turn off the heat, place the fortune in the center top portion of the circle, then fold the bottom half over it, forming a half a circle.
- Remove this ½ circle from the pan and take the two corners in your fingers and bring them together, and immediately place the cookie into a slot in the egg crate so that it retains its shape.
- Continue to cook each cookie until they are all in the egg crate. The cookie should become crisp almost immediately or at least 5 minutes after placing it in the egg crate. If it feels a bit doughy or has a stale texture, it means your heat is too high. Remove the pan, rinse it under cool water, and return it to the heat.
- Once they cool (about 15 to 20 minutes) we can start preparing to dip them in the chocolate.
- First line a large baking sheet with wax paper. Once the cookie is dipped it will be placed on this sheet.
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave them on high for 1 minute. Then stir until they are smooth. If you still do not have a smooth consistency, then microwave them for another 10 seconds and stir again. Keep microwaving for 10 seconds and stirring until they become smooth.
- Once the chocolate has a smooth texture take each cookie and dip the bottom into the chocolate until it is half way up the cookie. Then remove it and let the excess chocolate drip off. Place the finished cooking on the wax paper and repeat this with all of the cookies.
- When they are all dipped, place them in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, make sure that the chocolate has hardened. Then they are ready to serve. Makes about 18 cookies.