Lotus root is the stem of the lotus plant that produces the beautiful lotus flower. These amazing roots can usually be found in most Asian grocery stores. You want to select firm, light skinned roots without any bruises or soft spots. They also sometimes come pre sliced and vacuum packed in the frozen section as well. They have a light delicate flavor and a great crunchy texture; and are high in vitamin c and low in fat and calories.
Chinese wolfberries, often called goji berries are known as a superfood because they are rich in nutrients and antioxidants. These berries can usually be found dried in most health food stores. They are similar to raisins and add just a hint of sweetness to this soup.
Chinese red dates or jujubes give this soup another added bit of sweetness and add a depth of flavor as well. Try this delicious lotus root soup recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here.
2 cups cold water
½ tsp vinegar
1 lotus root
4 cups Chinese chicken stock (click here for the recipe)
7 red dates (dried and seedless)
1 tbsp goji berries (wolfberries)
½ tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp unsalted peanuts
- In a large bowl thoroughly mix together the water and the vinegar. This will be used to put the sliced lotus root in so that they don’t turn brown like potatoes and apples.
- Peel the lotus root and then slice it into thin ¼ inch slices. Place these slices in the bowl of water and vinegar and set them aside.
- In a large pot combine the chicken stock, red dates, goji berries, soy sauce and peanuts. Stir until everything is combined.
- Then drain the water from the lotus root slices and add them to the pot.
- Heat the soup on high and let it come to a boil.
- Once it boils turn the heat to low, cover, and let it simmer for an hour.
- After an hour, remove it from the heat and serve. Makes 3 to 4 servings.