3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
½ tsp garlic salt
½ red bell pepper
½ green bell pepper
11oz can mandarin oranges in light syrup
½ cup sugar
¼ cup soy sauce
1 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp pre chopped garlic
1½ tbsp cornstarch
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken. Then cut each breast in half long ways so that you have 4 thin chicken breasts.
- Next score the top of each piece of chicken so that there are horizontal slits about ½ way through the thickness of each piece.
- Then sprinkle each side of each of the chicken breasts with garlic salt and rub them with the peanut oil and then set them aside.
- Cut the bell peppers in half and remove the stem, seeds and inner white meat. Rinse the halves under cold running water and dry them with paper towels. Reserve half of each pepper for a future recipe. Cut the other halves into thin long strips and place them in a microwave safe bowl. Cover them with hot water and then microwave them on high for about 3 minutes. This is comparable to parboiling them.
- Then drain them thoroughly and set them aside.
- Open the can of oranges and drain them reserving the syrup.
- In a large cup add the syrup and all of the ingredients for the sauce. Stir until everything is mixed and the cornstarch thoroughly dissolves. Then set this mixture aside.
- Next, light a grill on high and let it get hot.
- When the grill is hot, place each piece of chicken on the grill with the cut side down. Cover and let them cook for about 5 minutes, or just until you have nice grill marks. The cooking time may vary depending on the type of grill you have.
- After 5 minutes, flip the chicken over, cover and let them cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until they are cooked through.
- Then remove them from the grill and cut them into long 1½ inch strips. Make sure to cut perpendicular across the grill marks. Then set them aside while cooking the sauce.
- Add the sauce and the peppers to a wok and heat it on high. Stir continuously until the sauce thickens. Then add the chicken strips and stir until they are completely coated with the sauce.
- Then remove it from the heat and serve. Serve this on top of white steamed rice and then top with the mandarin oranges. Makes 3 to 4 servings.