Printer Friendly Version
Chicken Salad in Crepe Baskets
Whether you want to make a special meal for your family for supper or if you are in charge of feeding a table of 4 at your ladies luncheon this will be a meal worthy of praise.
You can prepare the baskets and filling ahead and put it all together at serving time.
2-2 ½ lb whole chicken (if you are short on time use good canned chicken)
1 T salt
1 carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, cut in half
Pinch of Thyme
1 bay leaf
3 springs parsley
¼ c mayo
1 T white wine vinegar
2 T minced chives
1 tsp curry powder
½ c minced apples – I like to use more apples than the recipe calls for (I use green apples and leave the peel on for color)
¼ c halved grapes – I like to use a mixture of green and purple or red grapes (it makes it look so nice)
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
• Hard boiled eggs, quartered
• Sliced tomatoes
• Sliced almonds
1. Put the chicken in a large pot and cover with water
2. Add salt, celery, onion, thyme, bay leaf and parsley
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, or until chicken is tender
4. Remove chicken and cool
When the chicken is cook enough to handle, take off the skin and remove the meat from the bone.
1. Dice the chicken and add the mayonnaise, vinegar, chives, curry powder, apples , grapes, salt and white pepper
2. Blend together and chill
Make the crepes according to any standard recipe.
To make baskets, one at a time, fit each crepe inside a large ladle-
1. Dip ladle into hot oil in a deep fat fryer
2. Fry them until lightly browned and crisp
3. Oil should be hot, but not smoking, so that the crepes will nicely brown but not burn
4. Set to drain on a paper towel
To serve, prepare a bed of lettuce on each of 4 plates:
1. Mound the salad mixture gently in the crepe baskets and place them on the lettuce leaves
2. Garnish each plate with sliced hard boiled eggs, sliced tomatoes and olives
3. Top with the sliced almonds
This is such a great chicken salad recipe – if you don’t have time to make the crepe baskets you can serve it just as a salad on a bed of lettuce. It is also great served on sliced croissants.
American Regional Cuisine Site @ BellaOnline
View This Article in Regular Layout
Content copyright © 2013 by Launa Stout. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Launa Stout. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Allyson Elizabeth D´Angelo for details.