* The reason for any writing should be that you have something in your heart and mind that you want to share.
* The best way to begin writing is to take some time to think of what you want really want to say, and then have fun writing it.
* It is helpful to take notes and prepare a draft of your writing.
* The next step would be to organize what you have written. It is important to relax and take your time while editing your own work.
* Read over your writing to make sure it is easy to understand. This is important for a writer to do.
* Divide large paragraphs into smaller ones. Readers tend to get tired or bored when reading a large paragraph. It's good to keep a reader interested.
* Use the spell and grammar check feature on your word processor. You improve your credibility as a writer when your words are spelled correctly and your grammar is easy to understand.
* Use positive words. The point of writing something is to make a reader feel good. Positive words create positive feelings, and they make the person who is reading want to come back to read more of your writing.
* Avoid the use of slang in intelligent writing. If you are writing to your friends and your intention is to be funny, then whatever you write is fine. But for professional purposes you should always avoid slang.
* Use simple wording. Avoid words that are hard for most people to understand. Using complex words will not impress anyone, it will only confuse the person who is reading your writing.
* Avoid long articles. Most people tend to get tired after reading too much and will probably stop reading the article if it is too long. Most internet articles are requested to be between 400 and 1000 words. The most popular articles are close to 400 words. There is a reason for this. It is the amount of time most people are comfortable reading.
* Again and most importantly, read over what you write. This is essential. It's good to read over your writing before submitting it. Caring about what you write is professional.
* Avoid writing anything that is confusing. Write clear words. Take your time. Omit anything you do not want or need to say. Keep what is important and let the rest go. Simple is always better in life, and especially in writing.
* If you have an editor that makes a suggestion about your writing, see this as positive. Understand that he or she is helping you to be a better writer. An editors comments are not personal. Be thankful that someone is taking the time to tell you something that will improve your writing.
* Read the AP Style Guide. It will be helpful to you. The AP Style Guide explains the correct way to write and edit. Read the guide once in a while to refresh your knowledge. It is an investment in your writing. Search the term AP Style Guide on Google, and simply follow the directions to download it.