Although apples are traditional, other fruits that are in season can be used instead; the pudding will be just as good with peaches, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, or pears – whatever is around. Irish Apple Flummery can be made up to two days ahead, and is a perfect Irish dessert to serve on St. Patrick’s Day. It’s quite easy to make, and the official Hancock tasters loved it. This flummery is not too sweet, and can be served with biscuits (cookies) to make it a little fancier. It’s also light, and is the perfect ending to an heavier Irish meal of Irish Stew or Corned Beef and Cabbage.
Enough said; any more would be pure flummery.
6 tablespoons steel cut oats, also known as Irish oatmeal or pinhead oats
4 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds tart apples, such as Granny Smith or Bramley, peeled, cored, and sliced
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, (the juice of a large lemon)
2 tablespoons Irish Whiskey, (optional)
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
Unpeeled apple slices, for garnish
- Combine the oats, water, and salt in a large saucepan; bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and let cook until the oats are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the apples and continue cooking until they are soft.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- Rinse the saucepan and pour the apple oatmeal mixture back into it.
- Turn the heat to medium and stir in the sugar and lemon juice; stir the mixture until it comes to a boil.
- Take the pan off the heat, stir in the Irish whiskey, if using, and let the mixture chill thoroughly.
- When chilled, stir in the heavy cream and divide among 6 parfait or pudding glasses.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Garnish with apple slices.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 253 Calories from Fat 52
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 20% Protein 2% Carb. 77%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 18 mg
Sodium 102 mg
Total Carbohydrate 49 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 22 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 20% Calcium 0% Iron 3%