Whether you are packing to move or packing for storage, there are several ideas for making it work out the best for you. Packing is not easy and can be a tedious task. Having the know how will help to keep it simple with less dread.
1) Boxes are a staple for moving because they are usually quite regular sized, easy to carry and if taped together correctly, rarely fall apart. Regular sizes are important for maximizing your space and ensuring you're not wasting areas, especially if you are transporting, that could otherwise be filled. On the flip side, bags can be compressed anywhere! It is possible, however, for bags to be mistaken for rubbish.
2) Bags are good for items like clothing, and bedding or when you have run out of boxes to pack anything. Teddies and soft toys work well in bags - edged objects, or items that are likely to be too heavy to carry in a plastic bag would probably work better in boxes. Bags also work well with linens.
3) While packing, it is important to maximize space which mean you should pack your biggest objects first, and then fill the space around them. Books are easiest to pack. Odd shaped, awkward items such as ornaments and other items are the worst to pack. Both types should go in boxes, as should dishes and other objects that are considered fragile. Use plenty of newspaper or bubble wrap for cushion.
4) Mark all boxes and bags (if you can) carefully - it makes them easier to find things later. Sort boxes by rooms without having to break them open which will help to get organized faster if you are moving to a new home. Always remember to mark bags you are using for belongings clearly so that they do not get mistaken for rubbish. Buying completely different bags for your rubbish and your belongings may also help make this easier.
5) While it may only take you a couple of weeks to pack, it can take eight weeks or MORE to unpack at the other end. Keep the things you need separate so that you can access them quicker if you are moving.
One last word of advice. Whether moving or storing, boxes can be very heavy. It may be a good idea to use boxes that are no bigger than the boxes that you can get for free at a local liquor store. They are small and easy to carry and work well, especially with books. This type of box will prevent you from over packing which may end up hurting you.