1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hottest tap water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup chocolate liqueur, or chocolate coffee syrup
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup highest quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
French Cream Icing:
1 cup milk
5 tablespoons flour
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flaked coconut
4 to 5 drops green food coloring
Cadbury Mini Eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray an oven-proof bowl (approximately 11 or 12" in diameter) with Baker's Joy or grease and flour.
- Cream the butter and sugars; add eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, and chocolate; mix well.
- Stir in the flour and salt.
- Mix the hot water and baking soda and add to the batter; stir until smooth.
- Pour into the prepared bowl and bake about 1 hour, or until the cake has pulled away from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Loosen the sides with a knife and invert onto a cooling rack.
- After the cake has cooled for 10 minutes, invert onto a serving platter.
- Poke holes over the top with a fork; pour the coffee syrup or liqueur over the cake.
- Meanwhile, just before the cake is done, make the ganache: Mix the whipping cream and semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwaveable container; microwave 2 minutes, let sit 1 minute, then whisk until thick.
- Pour the hot ganache over the top of the warm cake and spread evenly.
- Let the cake cool thoroughly. If in a hurry, refrigerate or place in the freezer for a few minutes.
- French Cream Icing: Place the milk and flour in the blender and blend until smooth; transfer to a microwaveable container.
- Microwave 3-5 minutes, or until boiling (whisk after 2 1/2 minutes and again after boiling); place a piece of plastic wrap directly over the top of the mixture and let cool.
- Whip the butter, vanilla, and sugar with an electric mixer until very light and fluffy; add the cooled milk/flour mixture and beat until smooth.
- Spread over the cooled ganache.
- To decorate: Place the coconut with a few drops liquid green food coloring in a jar with a tight fitting lid; shake until the coconut is tinted; sprinkle over the French Cream Icing.
- Top with Cadbury eggs or other Easter decorations; store in the refrigerator.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 429 Calories from Fat 223
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 52% Protein 4% Carb. 43%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 25 g
Saturated Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 77 mg
Sodium 273 mg
Total Carbohydrate 46 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 20 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 5%