This casserole can be made ahead and refrigerated until ready to bake. The sauce is quick, since It starts with the versatile Basic Cream Soup Mix. Turkey is traditional, and if the Slow Cooker Turkey Breast Module is already in the freezer, preparation will be a snap. Otherwise, rotisserie chicken or leftover cooked chicken may be substituted for the turkey.
A serving note: Although it is traditional to serve the bacon in whole strips crisscrossed on top, it is easier to serve and eat if the bacon is crumbled over the tomatoes.
2 3/4 cups water
1 1/2 cups basic Cream Soup Mix
1 tablespoon dried parsley
2 tablespoons dehydrated onion flakes
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 8 oz. package penne pasta, cooked al dente in salted water and drained
2 to 3 cups turkey breast cubes from the Slow Cooker Turkey Breast Module
2 large tomatoes, sliced into 1/4" slices
8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and drained
1 cup garlic and herb croutons
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Whisk together the water, cream soup mix, parsley, onion flakes and pepper; bring to a boil over medium heat.
- When the sauce thickens, turn off the heat and add the Parmesan cheese and whipping cream; whisk until smooth.
- Mix the sauce with the cooked pasta and turkey breast cubes; pour the mixture into a shallow 2 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the croutons over the top and bake 20-30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Remove from the oven, arrange the tomato slices evenly over the top.
- Crisscross the bacon slices over the tomatoes.
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 430 Calories from Fat 186
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 43% Protein 25% Carb. 31%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 21 g
Saturated Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 102 mg
Sodium 627 mg
Total Carbohydrate 34 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 27 g
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 28% Calcium 0% Iron 12%