1 lb lean beef
8oz vermicelli noodles
2 tbsp peanut oil
3 large tomatoes
1 green bell pepper
1 medium white onion
peanut oil for frying
¼ tsp garlic salt
½ tbsp cooking sherry
½ tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp peanut oil
1½ cups hot water
1½ Maggie’s chicken bouillon cubes
¼ cup ketchup
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp sherry
½ tsp ground ginger
1½ tbsp cornstarch
- Remove as much fat from the beef as possible and then cut it into thin strips making sure to cut across the grain.
- Place these strips into a large bowl and add all of the ingredients for the marinade. Use your hand to mix everything in thoroughly and then let the meat marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- While the meat marinates, prepare the other ingredients. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once it boils, add the noodles and let them cook for 6 to 7 minutes, or until “al dente.”
- Once the noodles have cooked, drain them in a colander. Then return them to the pot and stir in the peanut oil until they are evenly coated. This keeps them from sticking together. Then set these noodles aside.
- Next rinse the tomatoes under cold water and dry them with paper towels.
- Then cut off the stems and the top center stem base and discard. Slice the tomatoes into triangle wedges and set them aside.
- Cut the bell pepper in half and remove the stem, seeds and inner white meat. Rinse both halves under cold running water and dry them thoroughly with paper towels. Then cut the halves into one inch square pieces and set them aside.
- Cut off the ends of the onion and peel. Then cut it into pieces the same size as the pepper and set them aside.
- In a large cup mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce except for the cornstarch and stir until the bouillon cubes dissolve.
- In a small cup mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves. This mixture will be used to thicken the sauce.
- Once the beef marinates, bring a large pot of water to a boil. When the water boils, add the meat and let it cook for just 30 seconds. Then remove it with a slotted spoon, draining it thoroughly and set it aside.
- Once the meat is cooked prepare to fry the noodles. Add 2 to 3 cups of peanut oil to a wok or large pot and heat it on high.
- When the oil is hot, carefully add 1/3 of the noodles to the oil. Let them cook for about 6 to 7 minutes and then remove them with a wire strainer and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Finish cooking the remaining noodles so that you have 3 sets of fried noodles. Then remove all of the peanut oil from the wok except for 1 tablespoon. Heat this oil on high.
- When this oil is hot, add the bell pepper and onion and stir fry them for 3 minutes.
- Then add the tomatoes and stir fry another minute.
- Add the sauce and bring it to a boil. Just as it starts to boil add in the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce thickens. Then add the beef and stir until everything is mixed together and heated through, about 30 seconds.
- To serve, place one set of the fried noodles on a plate, then top the noodles with the beef and vegetables, pouring the sauce onto the noodles to soften them.
- Makes 3 servings.