To watch a video of these instructions click here.
1 cup of whole unsalted cashews
2 medium carrots
I large green bell pepper
1 large red bell pepper
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp peanut oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sherry
2 tsp sugar
- Make sure to purchase unsalted cashews for this recipe otherwise the final dish will turn out overly salty. If you have trouble finding unsalted cashews you can still use regular salted cashews and simply rinse them under cold running water. Make sure that most of the salt is removed and then dry them thoroughly with paper towels.
- Peel the carrots and cut off each of the ends. Then slice the remaining stalks into thin slices and set them aside.
- Cut both of the bell peppers in half. Remove the stems, all of the seeds and inner white meat and discard. Then cut each half into ľ inch squares and set them aside with the carrots.
- In a large cup mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce and set it aside.
- In a small cup mix the cornstarch with a little water, just until it dissolves. Then set it aside with the sauce. This will be the thickener for the sauce.
- Now itís time to start cooking. Heat a wok or non stick pan on high and let it get hot. Once it is hot add the peanut oil and swirl it around to coat the bottom of the wok.
- When the oil is hot add the peppers and the carrots and stir fry them for 2 minutes.
- Then add the cashews and stir fry everything for 1 more minute.
- Then add the sauce and let it come to a boil.
- Once the sauce starts to come to a boil add in the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce becomes thick and coats the cashews and the peppers.
- Then you can remove it from the heat and serve. This is perfect served on top of white steamed rice or jasmine rice. Makes 2 servings.