This is not a difficult dessert to make; the key is to not overbake it - it should still be moist and soft in the center when taken from the oven.
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
6 large eggs, separated
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup raspberry jam (or substitute orange marmalade, apricot, or strawberry)
2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Line an 10" springform pan with parchment, then butter the parchment or spray with non-stick spray.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light; add the egg yolks and mix well.
- Stir in the flour, salt, chocolate, and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold them carefully into the chocolate mixture.
- Spread about 1/3 of the batter mixture over the bottom of the prepared springform pan.
- Stir the jam to thin it, then drizzle it over the batter, making sure it doesn’t touch the sides.
- Spoon the remaining batter over the top of the jam and spread evenly.
- Bake about 45 minutes, checking often the last 10 minutes. The top of the cake should be set, but it will still be quite soft, especially in the middle; this is as it should be since it will continue to set a little more as it cools.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form.
- Add the powdered sugar and continue beating until stiff.
- Pipe the cream decoratively onto the cake or spoon over each serving
- Garnish with fresh raspberries and mint sprigs.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 404 Calories from Fat 254
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 63% Protein 5% Carb. 32%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 28 g
Saturated Fat 17 g
Cholesterol 152 mg
Sodium 227 mg
Total Carbohydrate 33 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 20% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 5%