While these bars are not fancy, they are old fashioned good-tasting bars, great for pairing with ice cream or for a snack when the kids come home. They are also a good choice to transport to picnics and pot lucks. One of the official Hancock tasters, AKA Mr. Picky, loves these bars, and said they remind him of his childhood; he had no idea they were not made from scratch until he was told that they weren’t exactly like he had had in his childhood since cake mixes probably hadn’t been invented yet. (While he is a good sport about his age and pickiness, in actuality, cake mixes were invented in the 1920’s, and become popular in the late 1940’s).
1 18.25 ounce Spice Cake Mix
1 15 oz. can applesauce
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9 x 13" baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Mix the cake mix and applesauce until smooth.
- Stir in the raisins and walnuts.
- Spread in the prepared pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool thoroughly.
- Sift powdered sugar over all and cut into bars.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 67 Calories from Fat 16
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 24% Protein 4% Carb. 71%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 76 mg
Total Carbohydrate 12 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%