Rhubarb, which is technically a vegetable rather than a fruit, has only 26 calories per cup and is a good source of fiber, magnesium, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Calcium, Potassium, and Manganese. It is virtually fat and cholesterol free. That is not to say, of course, that this Rhubarb Ginger Shortbread can be put at the top of your list of healthy foods (and who do you know that can eat a 26 calorie cup of sour rhubarb without some type of calorie-laden sweetener?). However, since it is going to be served for dessert, and it is going to be eaten whether it’s healthy or not, at least the rhubarb contributes some nutritional value. For those who don’t think they like rhubarb, this is a good recipe for tasting it again; tastes change, and these bars are delicious.
1 cup flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 cup sugar (if you prefer extra tart, reduce to 3/4 cup)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup chopped candied ginger
3 to 4 cups finely chopped rhubarb
Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray an 11 x 7" baking dish (2" deep) with non-stick spray.
- Place the crust ingredients in the food processor; pulse until the mixture looks like cornmeal (or use a pastry blender to cut the butter in by hand).
- Press into the prepared baking dish; bake 12 minutes.
- Finely chop the rhubarb in the food processor; remove to a bowl.
- Measure the sugar, flour, and eggs into the food processor; process until smooth, scraping the sides down once.
- Add the ginger and rhubarb; pulse a few times to mix well.
- Spread the mixture over the baked crust.
- Return to the oven and bake 30-35 minutes or until set in the middle and golden.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Sift a little powdered sugar over and serve warm or at room temperature; store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 169 Calories from Fat 44
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 26% Protein 5% Carb. 69%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 39 mg
Sodium 53 mg
Total Carbohydrate 29 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 5% Calcium 0% Iron 6%