1 lb beef fillet
10 oz chow mein noodles (vermicelli can be used as well)
4 tbsp stir fry oil
1 green bell pepper
1 white onion
2 medium carrots
4 oz sugar snap peas
½ tbsp cooking sherry
¼ tsp garlic salt
1 tsp peanut oil
½ tbsp cornstarch
1 cup hot water
1 beef bouillon cube (Maggie’s brand works best in this recipe)
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp Shao hsing wine
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
- Trim the beef so that it is nice and lean. Then using a sharp knife slice it into strips.
- In a bowl mix the marinade ingredients thoroughly into the beef strips. Using your hand allows you to feel if they are mixed in completely or not. Leave the meat at room temperature to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Next, Bring about 6 to 8 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. When you see it start boiling, add the noodles. Cook them for about 7 minutes. We want them to be “al dente.”
- When the noodles are done, pour them into a colander to drain. Let them sit for a minute or until all of the excess water has drained off. Then pour them back in the pot and add just 2 tablespoons of the stir fry oil. Stir until the oil evenly coats the noodles.
- Next cut the pepper in half. Then remove the stem. Pull out all of the seeds and white meat from each of the halves. Then rinse them under cold water and make sure to dry them thoroughly before cutting each half into 1 inch squares.
- Peel the onion and cut it into squares the same size as the peppers.
- After peeling the carrots, cut them on a diagonal into thin slices.
- Rinse sugar snap peas. Then set them in a colander to dry.
- Mix together the sauce ingredients except for the cornstarch. Stir thoroughly until the bouillon cube dissolves.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little water. Stirring until it dissolves. This will thicken the sauce.
- When the beef is done marinating, heat a pot of water on high and let it boil. Then add the meat and cook it for 30 seconds. Then remove it with a slotted spoon and set it on a plate.
- Next, heat a wok to high and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of stir fry oil.
- When this oil is hot, add the peppers, onions, carrots and sugar snap peas and stir fry them for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Then add the sauce. Just as the sauce starts to boil add the cornstarch and stir until the sauce thickens. Then add the beef and the noodles and stir until everything is mixed together and heated through, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Then remove it from the heat and serve. Makes about 3 servings.