Accompaniments such as steamed green veggies and/or a healthy salad may lessen the guilt for serving this heart-attack-on-a-plate, and, of course 30 minutes or so on the treadmill or stair-stepper will insure that one will live long enough to eat it again and again.
1 pound bacon, diced (if possible, do not use low sodium bacon, and absolutely do not use turkey bacon)
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1" chunks
3 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
- Place the bacon in a large skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, but not quite crisp.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat into a measuring cup; set aside
- Add the chicken to the skillet and sprinkle with the chili powder and cayenne pepper.
- Stir over medium-high heat until the chicken is browned (but not cooked through) and the bacon is crisp.
- Mix the brown sugar with 1/4 cup of the reserved bacon fat and 1/2 cup water.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken and bacon.
- Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the brown sugar is dissolved and the mixture glazes the chicken cubes.
- Stir well and serve over hot rice.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 413 Calories from Fat 186
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 45% Protein 34% Carb. 21%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 21 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 99 mg
Sodium 524 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 36 g
Vitamin A 24% Vitamin C 18% Calcium 0% Iron 14%