For convenience, make sure there is Italian salad dressing mix on the pantry shelf, as well as canned cream of chicken soup. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts from the warehouse store are a staple in most home freezers, so the only special ingredient needed is the cream cheese. This yummy chicken is perfect year round, since the slow cooker sits on the counter and doesn’t heat up the kitchen during hot months, and emanates a warm homey aroma during winter months when a hot dish is absolutely necessary. A tossed salad is a great accompaniment, as well as crusty bread to soak up any extra sauce.
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cleaned and trimmed of any fat, veins, etc. (about 6 medium)
1 packet Italian salad dressing mix
1/4 cup water
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 10 3/4 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup softened butter
- Spray the inside of a 4-6-quart slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Arrange the chicken breasts on the bottom of the crock.
- Mix the salad dressing mix with the water and pour over the chicken.
- Mix the cream cheese, soup, and butter; pour over the chicken (the blender or food processor makes quick work of mixing).
- Turn the slow cooker to the low setting, cover, and let cook 4-6 hours or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken coarsely; stir the mixture until smooth and serve over cooked noodles or rice.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 361 Calories from Fat 225
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 62% Protein 34% Carb. 4%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 25 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 126 mg
Sodium 509 mg
Total Carbohydrate 4 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 30 g
Vitamin A 18% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 8%