A beautiful presentation, this dessert consists of several kinds of fresh fruit served in a hollowed out melon. The fruit is tossed in a syrup made with sugar, lime juice and rosewater. Rosewater is available at Middle Eastern markets and even some larger grocery stores. It adds a wonderful, exotic flavor to many dishes and is a good ingredient to keep on the pantry shelf.
Persian Melon makes a perfect summer dessert; actually any seasonal fruits can be substituted for those called for in the recipe, and it can also double as a fruit salad.
2 medium cantaloupes
2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
2 fresh peaches, peeled and cut into chunks
1 cup red seedless grapes
1 cup green seedless grapes
1 cup blueberries
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon rose water
2 tablespoons sugar
fresh mint sprigs
- Cut the melons in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Carefully run a knife around the inside of the melon leaving about 1/4" shell.
- Remove the fruit, cut it into chunks, and place in a bowl along with the strawberries, peaches, grapes, and blueberries; you should have about 8 cups fruit.
- Mix the lime juice, rosewater, and sugar in the blender or MagicBullet until the sugar is dissolved; toss with the fruit.
- Divide the fruit among the four cantaloupe shells and garnish with the mint sprigs.
- If not serving immediately, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 236 Calories from Fat 12
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 5% Protein 6% Carb. 89%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 1 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 28 mg
Total Carbohydrate 52 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 179% Vitamin C 276% Calcium 0% Iron 6%