Incidentally, if the garden is also overrun with yellow summer squash, it can be substituted for the zucchini in this dish; or use half yellow squash and half zucchini for a colorful and delicious change. Don’t be fooled by the ease of preparing Cheezy Crunchy Zucchini Bake, or the fact that it contains convenience products. It is one that has become a favorite with all of the official Hancock tasters, as well as others who have happened to eat dinner at the Hancock table.
2 pounds zucchini, sliced (for variety, use 1/2 yellow summer squash)
1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
1/2 pound pasteurized prepared cheese product, such as Velveeta
1/2 cup butter, divided
1 10 3/4 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 6 oz. package seasoned croutons, (about 3 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spread the zucchini slices over the bottom of a 9 x 13" shallow casserole dish; sprinkle with the onions.
- Place the cheese and 1/4 cup butter in a microwaveable container; microwave 2-3 minutes, stirring after every minute, until the cheese is melted.
- Stir in the soup and pour over the zucchini and onions.
- Scatter the croutons over the sauce mixture; pour the remaining 1/4 cup butter over the croutons.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 348 Calories from Fat 210
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 60% Protein 15% Carb. 25%
Nutrient Amount per % Daily
Total Fat 23 g 36%
Saturated Fat 12 g 62%
Cholesterol 58 mg 19%
Sodium 1074 mg 45%
Total Carbohydrate 22 g 7%
Dietary Fiber 1 g 2%
Sugars 0 g
Protein 13 g
Vitamin A 24% Vitamin C 18% Calcium 0% Iron 5%