Ideally, the vegetables should be blanched for a minute in boiling, salted water before grilling (the salt helps them keep their color), and then marinated for a few minutes in Italian salad dressing Ė you can make your own or use bottled. This can be done the night before or hours ahead, although it takes only a few minutes to cut the vegetables in big chunks, so it can be done just before grilling. The cheese is simply brushed with the dressing before grilling to prevent sticking (make sure the dressing is not fat-free since it is the oil in the dressing that prevents sticking).
For a full meal, pair these kebabs with Middle Eastern Rice Pilaf (start it before preparing the kabobs - that way, everything will be ready at once). Freshly baked pita bread is a great with this meal, too, if itís available. Haloumi cheese is becoming quite trendy, so itís available at many larger grocery stores; itís also available at most Greek and Middle Eastern markets.
1/2 pound haloumi cheese
1 pound small zucchinis, cut into 1" chunks
12 large fresh mushrooms
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1" squares
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1" squares
1 small onion, cut into 1" squares
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing, homemade or bottled - your favorite
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill (or George-Foreman-type grill if time is at a premium).
- Cut the haloumi cheese into 1" chunks; set aside.
- Place the vegetables in a large pot of boiling salted water (1 tablespoon salt to 10 cups water).
- Bring back to a boil and boil 1 minute; drain immediately, transfer to a boll, and toss with the dressing. Let sit a few minutes to marinate.
- Thread the vegetables and cheese on long metal skewers or long bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water.
- Brush with Italian Dressing, making sure to cover the cheese with dressing so it doesn't stick to the grill.
- Grill for 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally, until the vegetables are cooked through.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 383 Calories from Fat 262
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 68% Protein 16% Carb. 16%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 29 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 39 mg
Sodium 811 mg
Total Carbohydrate 15 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 15 g
Vitamin A 32% Vitamin C 108% Calcium 0% Iron 7%