Although it’s okay to use the caramels that are individually wrapped, I think most of us have better things to do than sit and unwrap little candies. I discovered Peter’s Caramel Loaf a few years ago, and have never even thought of purchasing those individually wrapped caramels since. There may be other brands of ready-made caramel out there, so check your restaurant supply stores and larger grocery stores. As a bonus, Peter’s uses real butter in their caramel, so it tastes better too.
Although these yummy bars are great year round, they are an especially good treat for a Halloween BOO-ffet; adults and kids love them, and they are so quick and easy to make, the cook will be able to worry about important things rather than dessert.
1/2 cup butter
1 16 oz. package marshmallows
12 cups Cocoa Puffs, or similar
18 ounces caramel loaf, such as Peter's, chopped, or unwrapped caramels
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup whipping cream
- Line a 17 x 11 jelly-roll pan with parchment and spray with non-stick spray.
- Spray a large microwaveable bowl and a wooden spoon or spatula with non-stick spray.
- Place the butter and marshmallows in the bowl; microwave on high power until they are melted, stirring every 1 minute.
- Stir in the Cocoa Puffs.
- Mix well and press into the prepared jelly-roll pan; let sit for a few minutes in a cool place to set.
- Meanwhile, melt the caramel - if using Peter's, microwave 1 minute, stir, and microwave at 50% power in 1 minute increments, until melted (if using another brand, melt according to manufacturer’s instructions)
- Drizzle or spread the melted caramel over the Cocoa Puff mixture.
- Measure the chocolate chips and whipping cream into a microwaveable container; microwave 2 minutes.
- Let sit 3 minutes, then stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is thick; spread over the caramel.
- When the chocolate and caramel are set, cut into 48 squares.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 180 Calories from Fat 60
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 33% Protein 2% Carb. 65%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 93 mg
Total Carbohydrate 29 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 9 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%
Note: Although this article promotes Peter’s Caramel Loaf, I have not received any compensation for doing so; I purchase it on a regular basis and use it in my home often.
If you can’t find a caramel loaf in your area, it can be ordered through Amazon:
Peter’s Creamy Caramel, 5 lbs.
Classic Caramel Caramel Loaf - 5lbs