3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
¼ tsp garlic salt
1 tsp soy sauce
2 small broccoli crowns
1 cup chicken stock,
2 tbsp Shao hsing wine
1 tbsp of soy sauce
½ tbsp of white sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
- First remove all of the fat from the chicken breasts and then cut them into thin long slices, about an inch or so in length.
- Once the chicken is cut, sprinkle it with the garlic salt and mix this in using your hand.
- Then add the soy sauce and mix this in thoroughly as well. Let this marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes while preparing the other ingredients.
- Rinse the broccoli under cold water and dry the crowns thoroughly. Then cut off the florets breaking any large florets into smaller pieces.
- Next bring the water for a steamer to a boil. This recipe uses a two-tiered steamer (a steamer that has 2 baskets) because the broccoli and chicken need to be cooked separately. The chicken will take about twice as long to cook as the broccoli.
- Place the chicken in foil and wrap it up tightly then place it into one of the steamer baskets.
- In the other steamer basket place the broccoli and spread it out evenly.
- Once the water boils, place the basket with the chicken on top and then place the basket with the broccoli on top of the chicken. Cover and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes carefully remove the basket with the broccoli. Recover the chicken and let it cook another 10 to 13 minutes, or until it is cooked through.
- Place the broccoli in a bowl and cover with foil or a paper towel and start preparing the sauce.
- In a medium pot mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce except for the cornstarch.
- Then in a small cup mix the cornstarch with a little water so that it dissolves.
- Heat the sauce in the pot on high and stir constantly until the sugar dissolves and the sauce starts to come to a boil.
- Once it starts to come to a boil add the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce thickens and then remove it from the heat and set it aside.
- By now the chicken should be cooked through. Carefully remove it, open the foil and separate the pieces. Then mix it with the broccoli and top it with the sauce and serve. This makes 3 to 4 servings and it perfect served with a side of white steamed rice.