An automatic bread machine is a must for busy cooks and those who hate to cook, because the dough is made without supervision and comes out perfect every time. Inexpensive ones can often be obtained at good-will and second-hand stores for between $5 and $8, and they save a lot of time and make very little mess. If a bread machine isn’t available, the dough can be made the traditional way. Lecithin and wheat gluten are usually available in the health food section of most larger grocery stores.
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium carrot, cut into chunks
8 ounces zucchini, cut into chunks
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 stalk celery, cut into chunks
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cracked wheat
1/4 cup cold milled flax
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons wheat gluten
2 teaspoons lecithin
1 tablespoon yeast
- Place the water, olive oil, carrot, zucchini, cabbage, and celery in the blender; blend until smooth and pour into the pan of an automatic bread machine.
- Add the remaining ingredients, set the machine to the dough cycle, and start.
- After 5 minutes, scrape the sides down to help the ingredients form a soft ball of dough. After 5 more minutes check to make sure the dough is a soft ball; if the dough is too stiff, add a little more water and restart the cycle; if the dough is too soft, add a little more flour.
- When the cycle has finished, transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface.
- Roll or pat the dough into a 16" x 12" rectangle.
- With a pizza cutter, cut the dough in half vertically, then into quarters, then each quarter into four strips; cut in half horizontally, making 32 strips.
- Roll each strip into a rope, thick in the middle and thin on each end; tie a knot on each end and place on parchment-lined baking sheets. It's okay if the bones are not perfect, since they have, after all, been sitting in a graveyard for years and have just been dug up.
- Cover the bones loosely with a towel and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- When the bones are almost risen, preheat the oven to 400°.
- Spray the bones with water and place them in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 78 Calories from Fat 10
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 13% Protein 14% Carb. 73%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 1 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 27 mg
Total Carbohydrate 14 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 6% Calcium 0% Iron 3%