If you’re not familiar with sprouted beans, they have become readily available in regular grocery stores and health food stores. There is even a sprouted bean trio marketed under the name of trû Roots that is available at my warehouse store; it is a mixture of three sprouted bean varieties, and is organic. According to information on the package, the sprouting process makes the beans “much easier to digest” as well as higher in protein, lower in sodium, and higher in nutrition than canned beans. Sprouted beans also cook much faster than dried beans, but can be left in the slow cooker for several hours without overcooking. If you’re looking for something easy, good tasting, and nutritious for those you love, sprouted beans are a good way to go. This soup is perfect for filling the cauldron at the annual Halloween BOO-ffet.
If there’s time, this soup is even better when refrigerated overnight to let the flavors blend. Any fat from the ham bone rises to the top when the soup is chilled, and can be removed easily before reheating.
2 cups sprouted bean trio, or your favorite sprouted beans
14 cups water
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 cup finely chopped celery
2 cups finely chopped onions
2 cups finely chopped carrots
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried chili peppers
1 pound meaty ham bone
1 tablespoon ham bouillon, or chicken bouillon
2 cups finely chopped zucchini
2 cups lean ham , diced
- Place the sprouted beans, water, garlic, celery, onions, carrots, black pepper, chili peppers, ham bone, and ham bouillon in a large soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and let cook for about 2 hours or until the beans and vegetables are tender and the ham falls off the ham bone.
- Remove the ham bone and chop the meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Skim any fat from the top of the soup.
- Add the chopped ham to the pot along with the zucchini and lean ham.
- Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, taste for seasoning, adding more if necessary, and serve.
- Slow cooker directions: Add all ingredients to a 6-8 quart slow cooker. If the ingredients are too much to fit into the slow cooker, reduce the amount of water and add it after the ham bone has been removed.
- Let the mixture cook 8-10 hours on low.
- Remove the ham bone, dice the meat, and add it to the soup.
- Skim the fat from the surface of the soup and discard before serving.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 145 Calories from Fat 40
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 27% Protein 34% Carb. 39%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 31 mg
Sodium 250 mg
Total Carbohydrate 14 g
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 12 g
Vitamin A 79% Vitamin C 12% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Note: Although I mention the trû Roots Sprouted Bean Trio by name, it is simply because I happen to like it and use it at home; I have received no compensation to promote the product.