5-Bean Turkey Chili is quick and easy to make; it utilizes canned goods to save time. A food processor makes quick work of chopping the vegetables, although a hand chopper or knife can be used if one isn’t available (It may be a good idea for busy cooks, and those who hate to cook, to invest in an inexpensive food processor or chopper which will substantially shorten the time spent in the kitchen and make chopping easier). This chili is perfect to fill that cauldron at the annual Halloween BOO-ffet, and is perfect served with Pumpkin Bread Bowls.
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
8 ounces small zucchini, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
4 to 6 jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
3 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 to 2 teaspoons salt
6 cups beef broth
1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz. can great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz. can red beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz. can pinto beans
- Brown the ground turkey in a large soup pot; add the onion, carrot, zucchini, celery, garlic, and jalapeno peppers.
- Stir over medium heat until the vegetables soften.
- Add the tomatoes, chili powder, salt, chicken broth, green chilies, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and let cook 20 minutes.
- Add the beans, bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and let cook about 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to blend.
- Taste for seasoning and add additional salt and pepper to taste, if necessary.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 338 Calories from Fat 40
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 12% Protein 26% Carb. 62%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 20 mg
Sodium 1218 mg
Total Carbohydrate 52 g
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 22 g
Vitamin A 50% Vitamin C 88% Calcium 0% Iron 31%