The following recipe makes four quite large servings. For those who are light eaters, cut the sausages in half lengthwise and make 6-8 smaller servings. Also, a cup of halved cherry tomatoes can be scattered over the top instead of two regular halved tomatoes.
4 Large Servings
4 English bangers, bratwurst sausages, or other uncooked sausages (about 1 pound)
4 slices bacon
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, 4" each, leaves torn from the stems and coarsely chopped
2 medium tomatoes halved lengthwise or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 12 oz. jar pork gravy
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Wrap the sausages with the bacon and place spoke-fashion in a 9" cast iron pan; bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile whisk together the flour, eggs, milk, water, and salt until smooth.
- Pour over the sausages; sprinkle with the rosemary and place the tomato halves in each quarter.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake 25-30 minutes or until puffed and brown.
- Heat the gravy and serve with the Toad in the Hole.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 527 Calories from Fat 276
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 52% Protein 19% Carb. 29%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 31 g
Saturated Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 170 mg
Sodium 994 mg
Total Carbohydrate 38 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 24 g
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 28% Calcium 0% Iron 16%