Slow Cooker Candied Yams and Cranberries is one side dish that won’t need to take up precious oven space on the big day.
2 pounds yams, or sweet potatoes
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup fresh cranberries
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup orange juice concentrate
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Peel the yams or sweet potatoes; slice 1/2" thick and cut the slices in half.
- Arrange the chunks evenly in the crock of a 1 1/2 - 3 quart slow cooker; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Scatter the cranberries over the yams and top with the butter, brown sugar, and orange juice concentrate.
- Cover, turn to the low setting, and let cook until the yams are tender, 3-5 hours.
- Mix the water and cornstarch until smooth; push the yams aside and stir into the liquid.
- Stir and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 245 Calories from Fat 56
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 23% Protein 3% Carb. 74%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 16 mg
Sodium 107 mg
Total Carbohydrate 46 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 168% Vitamin C 51% Calcium 0% Iron 8%