Also, make sure to purchase about one trout per person. The trout once butterflied is very thin and a medium whole trout has enough meat for about 1 person. Other white fish may be thicker and have more meat. If you are unsure of how much to purchase, ask you fishmonger. They generally know about how much meat is on each type of fish.
The apricot sauce is simple to make and makes enough for 3 to 4 pieces of fish. However, if you want to make just one or two pieces the extra sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for about 7 to 10 days. This sauce is also great on chicken and pork as well.
To watch a video on how I make this steamed fish with apricot sauce for one click here.
3 to 4 whole fish - butterflied (trout or other white fish)
Apricot Sauce Ingredients:
12oz jar apricot preserves
¼ cup white vinegar
¼ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp soy sauce
- Place each fish skin side down on separate plates. Now you want to make sure that these plates fit comfortably inside of the steamer you will use. The best way to steam these fish is to use a tiered aluminum steamer this way each plate can fit in a separate steamer basket and all of them can be steamed at once. Also, I would not use a bamboo steamer for this or any other fish recipe because it can retain the smells of seafood.
- Once the fish are on the plates, in the steamer baskets and ready to be steamed, set them aside and make the sauce before steaming them.
- In a medium pot mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce. Heat this mixture on medium high and stir constantly until the sauce comes to a boil.
- Once it boils, continue stirring while it boils for 30 seconds. Then remove it from the heat and set it aside.
- Once the sauce is cooked you can start steaming the fish. Bring the water to boil for your steamer.
- When it boils, stack the steamer baskets on top of one another, then cover and let it steam for 6 to 7 minutes. Keep in mind that this time may differ depending on the type and thickness of the fish. Most fish do not take long to steam, especially when butterflied.
- Now once the fish is cooked through, carefully remove the lid and steamer baskets. Drain off any excess water that may have accumulated on the fish plates.
- Then spoon the sauce on top of the fish and serve. This makes 3 to 4 servings.