Apparently, some lazy cheap moron decided to substitute ranch dressing (cheaper and easier to obtain) for the blue cheese and most of the chain restaurants followed suit, so that almost all versions of so-called “Buffalo Wings” as well as “Buffalo Wing Dip” are accompanied by or contain Ranch Dressing, which wasn’t even distributed commercially until the early 70’s and was never, and will never, be served with authentic Buffalo Wings. The travesties against classic American dishes by chain restaurants never cease to amaze me (another major one is the Cobb Salad originally served in the 40’s at the Brown Derby Restaurant)! (Is it too much to ask for you to avoid (as I do) those chain restaurants that ruin our favorite classic American Dishes? Hopefully, if we all do, it might teach them a lesson and have an effect their bottom line which is, of course the important thing to them, not classic, innovative, delicious, or high-quality dishes made by chefs and not made in factories with tons of additives and preservatives.
Whether you feel strongly about ingredients and classic American dishes as I do, or you just want something that is quick and easy and impresses your family and guests, you’ll definitely want to make this dip – not only during the holidays, but throughout the entire year. Happy Dipping!
3 to 4 cups cooked chicken or turkey, coarsely chopped (to be really authentic, take the chicken off of cooked wings, but that will take a lot longer)
1/2 to 3/4 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
2 8 oz. packages cream cheese
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese, divided
1/2 cup highest quality blue cheese salad dressing
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning, or other seafood seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place the cooked chicken or turkey in a bowl; pour the hot sauce over and toss.
- Mix the cream cheese, blue cheese, 1/2 cup of the cheddar jack cheese, salad dressing, and old bay seasoning in a microwaveable container.
- Microwave 1 minute; stir.
- Repeat until the mixture is soft and mixed well.
- Fold the chicken mixture in and transfer to a 1 quart baking dish; top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar jack cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm with celery sticks, pita chips, and crackers.
Note: the ingredients can be transferred to a slow cooker and heated on low for an hour or so.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 276 Calories from Fat 220
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 80% Protein 17% Carb. 3%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 24 g
Saturated Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 72 mg
Sodium 376 mg
Total Carbohydrate 2 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 12 g
Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 4%