12 sea scallops (medium wild caught and shelled – about 1 pound)
1 green onion
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- For this recipe you will need two medium sized bowls and a tiered steamer with 2 steaming baskets. Each of the bowls should fit comfortably inside of each of the steamer baskets.
- Place 6 sea scallops in each bowl and then place each bowl inside each of the steamer baskets and set them aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- Rinse the green onion under running water and dry it thoroughly. Then cut off the ends and discard, and cut the remaining stalk into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- Next take ½ tablespoon of the soy sauce and drizzle it evenly over the scallops in one of the bowls. Then take the remaining ½ tablespoon of the soy sauce and drizzle it over the other bowl of scallops.
- Do the same as above with the seasoned rice vinegar.
- Then just top each of the scallops with the diced green onion.
- Now they are ready to steam. Heat the water for your steamer on high and let it come to a boil.
- Once it boils stack the steamer baskets on top of each other, cover, and let them steam for just 5 minutes. We don’t want to cook them any longer than this because they can easily over cook and will end up being tough and rubbery.
- After 5 minutes, turn off the heat and carefully remove the lid and remove the baskets immediately from the steam.
- Then place the bowls on separate plates and serve. This is great served with a side of white steamed rice. The steamed scallops create a flavorful broth in the bowl that is delicious when soaked up into the white steamed rice, enjoy. Makes 2 servings.