Whether you choose to do it Lucyís way with chocolate cake, white frosting, and sprinkles, or take a bit more time to make the following Decadent Groundhog Cake, youíll have a perfect dessert to serve on February 2nd. It wonít matter whether the groundhog sees his shadow, since youíll be in a warm kitchen eating yummy cake.
1 18 1/4 ounce German chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
1/2 cup chocolate liqueur, or chocolate flavored coffee syrup
6 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup whipping cream
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1 cup softened butter
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
Plastic Eyes from the craft store
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350į.
- Spray a 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan with Baker's Joy or grease and flour.
- Mix the cake mix, eggs, oil, and water until smooth; pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let sit 5 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack; cool thoroughly.
- Filling: Melt the butter in a saucepan; add the sugar and whipping cream and slowly bring to a simmer.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved; add the vanilla.
- Add the coconut and nuts and stir.
- Frosting: Place the sugar and water in a saucepan; cover and bring to a boil.
- Boil, washing down the sides occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture starts to thicken.
- Meanwhile, while the syrup is boiling, place the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl and beat until thick and lemon-colored.
- With the mixer on high, slowly pour the syrup into the egg yolks.
- Continue beating at high speed until the mixture has cooled, scraping the sides occasionally.
- Beat in the butter, one piece at a time, until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Fold in the cooled melted chocolate.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 337 Calories from Fat 243
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 72% Protein 3% Carb. 23%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 27 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 98 mg
Sodium 131 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 11 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 3%