And heart disease is the #1 cause of death for American women.
But it doesn’t have to be that way for you. Eating a healthy heart diet of heart healthy foods is absolutely essential for preventing and even reversing heart disease in women.
How to Prevent Heart Disease with a Heart Healthy Diet
Making simple, but important, dietary changes that include healthy heart supplements can pay off very quickly. Here are the main recommendations for a healthy heart diet:
- Increase healthy fiber rich foods in your diet. Include more heart healthy foods like raw and lightly steamed vegetables, fresh fruit, whole grains, beans and nuts.
- Keep your fat calories between 25% and 30% of total daily calorie intake.
- Reduce saturated fat to no more than 10% of total calories. Saturated fat, found mainly in fatty meats, high-fat dairy, processed foods and tropical oils (coconut and palm), raises your LDL (bad) cholesterol level more than anything else. Instead, choose healthy fats, found in whole grains, nuts, omega 3 fish and olive oil.
- Eliminate all foods with trans-fatty acids, found mainly in processed and deep fried foods.
- Choose high quality protein foods, like lean poultry, non-fat or low-fat dairy, soy products or fish instead of high fat meats and dairy.
- If you're overweight, lower your daily calorie intake. The overweight and obese are far more likely to have heart disease than slender people. Eat just enough calories to achieve and maintain a healthy blood cholesterol level and body weight.
- Cut down on sodium to 2,400 milligrams a day or less. Too much sodium can elevate blood pressure. Be spicy instead of salty. Flavor foods with herbs, spices, lemon, lime, vinegar or salt-free seasonings rather than high sodium table salt.
- To maximize the benefits you get from your healthy heart diet, include high quality nutritional health supplements and omega 3 fish oil capsules for heart health.
Besides your heart healthy diet take these steps to reduce your risk of heart disease:
- If you smoke, quit. Also avoid second hand smoke.
- Eat small, frequent, healthy meals – 5 or 6 rather than 2 or 3 large meals.
- Reach and maintain a healthy weight.
- Exercise 30 minutes or more a day. It helps control your blood pressure, boost HDL (good) cholesterol and take off extra pounds.
- Maintain healthy blood pressure, cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- And keep your blood sugar under control by focusing on a low glycemic diet.
My highest recommendation for the best heart healthy supplements can be found here and to check out the purest, most complete omega 3 fish oil capsules click here.
To receive a free article like this every week, sign up for my free Natural Health Newsletter.
Click here for the Site Map.
Articles you might also enjoy:
Best Way to Lose Weight Eating Healthy
Fish Oil for Heart Health and More
All Natural Health Supplements for Humans
List of Vegetables with Their Nutritional Value
To subscribe to the Natural Health Newsletter, just enter your email address in the subscribe box at the bottom of this page.
© Copyright by Moss Greene. All Rights Reserved.
Note: The information contained on this website is not intended to be prescriptive. Any attempt to diagnose or treat an illness should come under the direction of a physician who is familiar with nutritional therapy.