I’ve discovered that whole wheat spaghetti adds a little much-needed fiber to my diet without sacrificing flavor (I actually like it better because it’s firmer), so I use it instead of regular spaghetti; you can use whatever you have in the house. I have also recently found that Neufchatel cheese is a little lower in fat that regular cream cheese, and I used it instead of full fat cream cheese in my first version; you can of course use whichever you like best, since there is really no difference in the finished product.
Since this makes a lot, I made it in two separate casserole dishes and froze one. It’s always nice to have something in the freezer to serve, especially if it’s this Cream Cheese Spaghetti Bake that everyone loves so much. I hope you like it as much as our family does. Thanks Kari!
12 ounces whole wheat spaghetti, or use regular spaghetti
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, or neufchatel to save a few calories, softened
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 clove garlic, finely minced
6 cups Authentic Italian Meat Sauce
2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 2 2-quart shallow casserole dishes or 1 9 x 13" shallow casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Cook the spaghetti in boiling salted water until al dente; drain well and stir in the neufchatel cheese, Italian seasoning, and garlic, making sure the pasta is well-coated.
- Spread a cup of the meat sauce over the bottom of each casserole (or 2 cups over a larger one).
- Spread the coated pasta over the meat sauce.
- Spread the remaining meat sauce over the pasta and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
If making two casseroles, wrap one and freeze. Bake the other one 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 361 Calories from Fat 166
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 22% Carb. 32%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 18 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 54 mg
Sodium 827 mg
Total Carbohydrate 29 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 20 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 7%