To save time, grill extra chicken breasts when serving them for dinner (Greek seasoning makes them delicious for this salad), or even better, use grilled chicken that is already in the freezer from the Grilled Chicken Module. Either way, this salad makes a great light lunch or dinner. It’s also a good choice for a buffet, backyard get-together, or potluck.
8 ounces whole grain rotini pasta, (or regular rotini pasta)
boiling salted water
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup red onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped Kalamata olives
1 to 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 grilled chicken breasts from the Grilled Chicken Module, diced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
6 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon sumak powder, (optional – adds a distinctive tartness)
3 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped or 3 teaspoons dried
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook the pasta to al dente in boiling salted water.
- Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain well.
- Mix the cooled pasta with the peppers, onions, olives, tomatoes, garbanzo beans, chicken, parsley, and feta; toss with the dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 48 hours before serving.
- Dressing: Place all ingredients in the blender; blend until mixed and smooth.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 314 Calories from Fat 154
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 49% Protein 15% Carb. 36%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 17 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 22 mg
Sodium 536 mg
Total Carbohydrate 28 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 12 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 29% Calcium 0% Iron 9%