This easy recipe proves that simple can be fabulous, and it may end up being a “fallback” recipe for many once they try it and find how delicious simple can be. Since the newer whole grain pasta is getting easier to find and is delicious, why not add the extra fiber for a healthier dish? Of course, regular angel hair (or any pasta for that matter, including leftover pasta sitting in the fridge) can be used with great results. Just 5 ingredients, 15-20 minutes, and dinner (or a fabulous side dish to grilled meats, poultry, or fish) will be ready to serve!
8 ounces angel hair pasta (whole grain or other)
Boiling salted water
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 to 4 cloves garlic, finely minced (more is better, if you don’t have a date)
6 medium Roma tomatoes, finely chopped (or other favorite tomatoes – less seeds are better)
1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook the pasta in the boiling salted water until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a skillet.
- Stir in the garlic and let cook for a minute or two, making sure it doesn't brown.
- Add the tomatoes and basil.
- Bring to a boil and let cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When the pasta is done, drain it and add to the tomato mixture; stir well and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 278 Calories from Fat 46
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 16% Protein 14% Carb. 70%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 22 mg
Total Carbohydrate 49 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 9 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 53% Calcium 0% Iron 15%