Cleaning out big chest and upright freezers is a part of spring cleaning for many, and the time frame coincides nicely with Cinco de Mayo which, although itís a Mexican holiday, is also celebrated in many regions of the US. Get this module in the freezer and you can make delicious Mexican dishes for this holiday (or anytime) in a matter of minutes. Iíll be posting recipes periodically that use this luscious, moist shredded meat, so sign up for the newsletter and you wonít miss a thing.
48 Servings (depending on the recipe itís used in)
10 pounds beef top round, or beef top sirloin
3 cups medium salsa
2 4 oz. cans diced mild green chilies
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
3 tablespoons chili powder
- Trim the fat off of the meat and place in a 6-7 quart slow cooker.
- Pour the salsa, green chilies, salt, pepper, and chili powder over.
- Cover the slow cooker, set to high, and let cook 4-6 hours.
- Remove the lid, stir, and place the lid back on, tilting slightly.
- Let cook an additional 4 hours or until much of the liquid has been absorbed and the meat is very tender.
- Using two large meat forks, shred the meat.
- Package in two-cup portions; label and freeze.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 129 Calories from Fat 32
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 25% Protein 71% Carb. 5%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
Sodium 214 mg
Total Carbohydrate 1 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 23 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 7% Calcium 0% Iron 12%