Whole wheat pasta is available in most grocery stores, and besides supplying fiber and a little extra nutritional value, it seems to hold up better than the traditional pasta in cold salads. Of course, this salad is delicious made with regular pasta, too, so donít worry if itís not on hand.
For those who are busy, this salad can be made a day or two ahead; just add the cashews at the last minute. Any fresh berries can be used, so try to choose two or three different kinds; the salad will be prettier, and will please all the berry lovers.
1 pound whole wheat rotini pasta
Boiling salted water
1 cup celery, finely chopped
1 cup red onions, finely chopped
6 to 8 cups fresh berries, (if using strawberries, slice them)
4 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
2 cups cashews, coarsely chopped
1 cup light mayonnaise, not fat free
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup cranberry vinegar, or raspberry vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta in the boiling salted water until al dente; drain and run cold water over; drain again.
- Place the pasta in a large serving bowl.
- Add the celery, onions, berries, and chicken.
- Stir well, being careful not to break up the berries.
- Mix in the dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate a few hours until chilled, or up to 2 days.
- Just before serving, stir in the cashews.
- Dressing: Whiz all dressing ingredients in the blender, or whisk together until smooth and-well mixed.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 229 Calories from Fat 77
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 33% Protein 20% Carb. 47%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 20 mg
Sodium 119 mg
Total Carbohydrate 27 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 11 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 38% Calcium 0% Iron 9%