4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
¼ inch piece fresh ginger
3 green onions
1/3 cup hot water
3 tbsp honey
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 ½ tsp hot chili garlic sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp cornstarch
½ cup all purpose flour
½ tsp salt
2 cups peanut oil
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and cut each breast into large 2 inch or so pieces and set them aside.
- Peel and grate the piece of ginger and set it aside.
- In a large cup mix together the hot water and honey. Stir thoroughly until the honey dissolves. Then add the lemon juice, hot chili garlic sauce, and soy sauce and stir until everything is well blended. Set this sauce mixture aside.
- In a small cup mix the cornstarch with just a little bit of water to dissolve and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Toss the chicken pieces in the flour mixture making sure to coat them thoroughly.
- In a large non stick pot or wok heat the peanut oil on high. Once the oil reaches 375 degrees, begin frying the chicken.
- Add several chicken pieces at a time making sure not to over crowd the wok. Cook them for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove them with a slotted spoon and place them on paper towels to drain.
- Once all of the chicken is cooked remove all of the oil from the wok except for 1 tablespoon. Heat this oil again on high.
- Once the oil is hot, add the ginger and stir fry it for 1 minute. Quickly add the sauce mixture and bring it to a boil, about 1 minute.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and stir until thick.
- Add the green onions and chicken pieces and stir until all of the chicken is coated and heated through, about 2 more minutes.
- Serve with either white or fried rice. Makes 3 servings.