About 8 1/2-cup Servings
1 3/4 cups skim milk, divided (for richer, but more fattening, sherbet substitute whole milk)
2/3 cup sugar
2 cups fresh berries, washed, and hulled if necessary
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
- Measure 1 cup of the milk into a microwave-safe container; microwave 1 minute or until it is just lukewarm.
- Stir in the sugar and let sit until it is thoroughly dissolved.
- Meanwhile, place the fresh berries in a blender along with the remaining 3/4 cup of the milk, lemon juice, salt, and mint leaves.
- Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides once or twice.
- Place a fine strainer over a large bowl, pour the berry mixture into the strainer, and press the mixture through, being careful to avoid pushing any seeds through.
- Mix the sieved berry mixture with the milk/sugar mixture; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. (You can speed this up by chilling it in the freezer, but make sure you don't leave it too long; it should still be liquid.)
- Pour the mixture into the frozen bowl of an automatic ice cream machine and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. It should take about 20-25 minutes in the machine; transfer to a covered container and store in the freezer.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 98 Calories from Fat 2
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 2% Protein 8% Carb. 89%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 0 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1 mg
Sodium 101 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 40% Calcium 0% Iron 1%