Grilled Salmon & Brown Rice Salad takes advantage of time-saving appliances: the rice cooker and the George-Foreman-type grill. By using them, there is no heating up of the kitchen, and clean-up is a cinch. Of course, if they are not available, the rice can be cooked on the stovetop and the salmon can be cooked under the broiler; both take a little more hands-on time, but it’s worth it, since this salad is so good. You can vary the spiciness of the salad by adding more or less jalapeno peppers; for a very mild salad, substitute a green bell pepper for the jalapenos.
1 cup brown Jasmine rice
2 1/4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 pound salmon fillet
Seasoning salt (your favorite – I like Simply Asia Sweet Ginger Garlic)
4 green onions, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
2 to 4 fresh jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded, and finely diced
8 to 10 ounces edamame (shelled), steamed according to package directions
1 medium cucumber, quartered lengthwise and sliced
3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Place the brown jasmine rice, water, salt, and vegetable oil in the rice cooker; turn on and let run until the liquid is absorbed. Alternately, bring the water to a boil, add the rice, salt, and oil. Stir, cover, and simmer until the liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle the salmon with seasoning salt and grill on a George Foreman-type grill or gas grill; alternately, broil until the salmon just flakes with a fork.
- Set aside to cool.
- Mix the onions, peppers, edamame, cucumbers, and cilantro with the cooled rice.
- Flake the salmon and stir it in.
- Zest the limes into a small bowl; squeeze the lime juice into the bowl and mix with the soy sauce.
- Toss with the salad.
- Cover and refrigerate until time to serve; can be served immediately, or combined and refrigerated a day ahead.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 213 Calories from Fat 57
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 27% Protein 25% Carb. 48%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 19 mg
Sodium 876 mg
Total Carbohydrate 26 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 13 g
Vitamin A 36% Vitamin C 85% Calcium 0% Iron 3%